Thursday, September 1, 2016

Young Adult Booktalk: Where You'll Find Me by Erin Fletcher



Young Adult Booktalk
Text of Booktalk
Young Adult Booktalk: Erin Fletcher’s Where You’ll Find Me
Florida High School, October 14, 2015, 2pm
Citation:
Fletcher, E. (2014). Where you’ll find me. [Kindle Edition]. isbn: 978-1-62266-443-6
This Young Adult Contemporary novel, released in January of 2014, is classified as Realistic Fiction novel.  The book is available in hard and soft cover yet I read the book on Kindle at the purchase price of .99.  Length of this novel is 190 pages.
Opening Hook for Talk- “I told you not to come back to my garage, but then I thought, what if that’s the only place you can go where you’ll be out of the cold?  What if you are going to die tonight because of me?” (Fletcher, 2014, p. 49).
Summary:
When 15 year old Hanley sneezes in her three-car garage, the last thing she expects is to hear a male voice breathe “Bless you” in response.  Reeling from the unexpected suicide of her best friend, Hanley dyes her light brown hair black and sinks into a depression so deep, she is almost unreachable.  She drowns her sorrows in boys and alcohol, routinely sneaking out in the middle of the night to meet her new friends, Misty and Rosalinda.
 Nate, aka “Garage Boy”, has run away from home after the death of his twin brother almost one year ago. Now homeless, he hides near Hanley’s dad’s classic Trans-Am as a means of surviving the sub-zero winter weather.  Nate provides the confidant that Hanley needs to finally reveal the pain she feels by her best friend’s permanent abandonment but Nate is not nearly as forthcoming in revealing what he is hiding from.  When Nate and Hanley form a physical and emotional bond in the form of blossoming romance, will the revelation of Nate’s secret tear them apart?
I would give this Young Adult Contemporary novel five stars.  I found the characters of Hanley and Nate to be believable.  The deeper I went into their story, the more invested I became in their relationship and the possibilities for their future.  Can you really fall in love with a boy you meet for the first time as he is hiding out in your garage?  Also, if you have committed a deed so bad, do your parents have to forgive you?
Passage: 
 Once Nate visited the inside of Hanley’s house, he cannot help noticing the progression on Hanley’s school photographs where her appearance goes from sunshiny to dark.
I’m kind of afraid Nate will be in the garage.  Afraid of what I’ll have to do after that.  Images of cop cars and handcuffs, and restraining orders fill my mind.  I would do it to protect myself, but I don’t want the drama.  I’m kind of afraid he won’t be there too.  No matter how hard I try, I can’t stop thinking about his eyes.  His smile.  The way he took care of me.  His reaction to my school pictures.  The way he noticed my change before noticing my story(p. 34).



Booktalk Venue
My booktalk was composed for sophomore English students at the Florida State University School on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 2pm.  Fellow graduate student, Debby Harris, offered an opportunity for other students within the MLIS program to share our booktalks with students in her classroom. Ms. Harris’s email address is dharris3@fsu.edu.
First off, I needed clarification as to what the term booktalk actually means.  Latham and Gross define them as “short, spoken “teasers” intended to get young adults interested in reading books” (Latham & Gross, 2014, p.2163).  I also consulted booktalks on YouTube for examples of dynamic book reviews.  Also, I pondered my audience when building this particular booktalk. Hopefully, I would be addressing students interested in reading literature from the Young Adult genre, specifically written for ages 12-18 as defined by the Young Adult Library Services Associations (YALSA) .  While the audience listening to my booktalk presentation will be both male and female, it does seem to me that many popular novels of this genre are written from a feminine point of view.  I am hoping that the storyline, with its plot of possible murder, attempted suicide, and substance abuse will pique the interest of both sexes, transforming a novel that could be misconstrued as strictly romantic to one fraught with intense situations experienced regardless of sex.  The characters within Where You’ll Find Me struggle with complex teen issues that students may not feel comfortable talking about but will be able to consider more deeply and privately while discovering this book.
Where You’ll Find Me, written by Erin Fletcher in the Fall of 2014, meets the information needs of teenagers curious about relationships, both within families and outside with friends and love interests.  The book considers whether or not it is wise for teenagers to keep secrets from their friends and family to protect another person they love.  Students who are beginning to form complex relationships of their own will appreciate the struggles and feelings that the protagonist encounters as she strives to do make the right decisions. 
The relatively recently coined term “Young Adult” denotes youth in a time period of “physical development, that peer relationships become extremely important to them, that they are influenced by media, and that they may experience depressed mood” (Latham & Gross, 2014, p.384).  Students who experience Where You’ll Find Me will be more prone to reflect on times in their own lives when they may abuse drugs or alcohol as a method of escape from a difficult situation.  If they have not experienced this for themselves, it is not unlikely that they know of someone who has.  The information encountered within this novel can inform young adults that they are not alone in this type of behavior, allowing them to know that they can get themselves out of harm’s way or help peers seek help from damaging behaviors.
My hope is also that this booktalk will allow the students to see that they can trust information professionals with tough questions they have and situations they are facing.  I want the audience to see me as trustworthy, promoting a “positive image of librarians among young people” (2163).  Perhaps demonstrating my ability to apply the lessons in this novel to my own life will encourage them to realize that adults once faced, and sometimes still face, many of the same difficulties in life as young people.
The Presentation
            Ms. Harris’s classroom is bright and cheery, with students filling every seat.  Every possible racial and economic demographic appears to be represented in her room, making this audience an excellent cross section of American youth.  The room feels very warm yet it is difficult to tell whether it feels so due to the number of students in the room (roughly 20) or the nerves I feel regarding presenting my book to them.  I so want the students to feel a pull to read my book because, although it is not a bestseller or an award winner, I feel that the book has a lot of merit and much wisdom to impart to young people.
            There are approximately five other MLIS students presenting their booktalks today and we all are slightly perspiring, perhaps wanting to go first and be finished with our presentation.  The students are very well-behaved, although you do have the few who feel the need to be noticed through silliness.  I try to be conscious of my time in front of them as I know it is hard to sit still and listen to an older person who may not be talking about something interesting to you.  Some of my peers tend to go a little long winded but I know it is because they desperately hope that the students will want to read the book they are presenting more than anyone else’s.  We are not necessarily competitive but I do think that we want the students to enjoy us rather than wish us gone!
            I am the fourth MLIS student to stand before the class and I can tell that the students are getting antsy.  When I begin, the youth do me the honor of granting me their full attention and I am grateful.  I hook the students with one of my favorite lines and I feel as if I hold their attention as I speak about the novel.  I am getting more comfortable as I go on because the students are respectful.   My booktalk maybe lasts about ten minutes but seems to last much longer. The highlight comes at the end when one of the students asks me to repeat the name and author of my book so that she can get the book for herself.  Ms. Harris comments to me later that more students asked about my book which makes me feel pretty darn good.  I hope that the students will read Where You’ll Find Me, whether it is for entertainment value, fulfilling their information needs consciously or subconsciously saving tidbits of the story for later in life.
Presenting in Ms. Harris’s class was important because it allows those viewing the presentation to be exposed to a book they may not pick up on their own.  Furthermore, having the booktalk come from a source other than a teacher is an exciting opportunity to expand outside of the realm of award winning novels and what is traditionally accepted within the school library.  The particular novel I chose is not an award winner yet has information that fulfills information needs of teens and comes at a very reasonable price through various easily acceptable formats.  I would love to present in this classroom or similar again because I enjoyed the connection that I was able to share with this amazing group of young people!



References
Fletcher, E. (2014). Where you’ll find me. [Kindle Edition]. isbn: 978-1-62266-443-6
Latham, D. and Gross, M. (2014). Young adult resources today: connecting teens with books, music, games, movies, and more. [Kindle Edition]. isbn: 978-0-8108-8799-2



No comments:

Post a Comment